view from our mooring
over the bridge to the town
The magnificent County Hall in the centre is currently undergoing renovation work, so we weren't able to get a closer look, or visit the museum. The strange custom of 'bun throwing' takes place from the roof balcony to celebrate royal occasions, most recently on the wedding day of Wills and Kate.St Nicolas Church at the Abbey gateway, was built for the servants of the Abbey.
Along East St. Helen Street toward St Helen's Church the houses are a mixture of styles and ages ranging from the 15th century.
Around St Helen's Church are three almshouses:
The Long Alley built in 1446, with scripture texts painted on the walls along the outer corridor,
and around the outside of the building too.
Then there is Twitty's, named after the benefactor, built in 1707.And Brick Alley built in 1718.
They are all still occupied today,now administered by the Governors of Christ's Hospital.