Narrowboat Tacet

Silent Movement - Our gap year travelling the inland waterways



Friday 21 June 2013

Getting back to Boating

After the excitement of J’s graduation day and time spent with our family, today we were back on board and ready to leave Great Barford.

Although it was warm, the skies were dark and heavy and so was my heart, the time with the children was so short and I was missing them. Usually as soon as we set off and start working locks I feel fine, but not today.  Then it started to rain and we had to get coats on. Now I felt really fed up, the tears weren’t far away.

Arriving at St Neots, we decided to stop, it was wet, it was lunchtime and we needed fresh fruit and vegetables. There was room on the pontoon moorings closest to the shops.

After lunch onboard, we had a walk around the town, no market today, so I went to Waitrose stocking up, including sticky cakes and flowers, and by the time I’d finished and got back to Tacet the sky was clearing.

So we set off again, I managed to get the shopping all put away before we reached the next lock and it was hot out there in the sun waiting for the extra long lock to fill. With the clouds lifted, so were my spirits and we enjoyed a lovely cruise down to Huntingdon eating the cakes on the way. P1090912 P1090915 P1090919 P1090922 P1090927

 

Once again the magic of boating, sunshine and working locks has restored my well being.

Oh it’s good to be home.

 

 

Great Barford – Huntingdon

13.5 miles, 6 locks

No comments:

Post a Comment