During the reformation and the Civil War, paintings were covered up and statues and figures were defaced or destroyed. Over the following centuries the building has continued to be altered, changed and improved. Today there are some lovely stained glass windows, marvellous carvings and stonework.
The large spans across the nave are impressive. Three spires outside make it easy to spot from all around the city.
To one side, off the north quire there is a room known as the Pedilavium.
These are recessed seats where worshippers sit and then have their feet washed, as Jesus once washed his disciples feet.
On the opposite side of the nave there is a Consistory Court room, where ecclesiastical offences would have been tried in the past.
Also up a narrow staircase is a small chapel of prayer behind a balcony. It is known as St Chad's Head Chapel as once St Chad's bones were kept there as relics and his head shown to pilgrims from the balcony.
Lots of history, stories and lives changed over the last 1300 years from this place of worship.